Saturday 23 February 2013

CHANEL MAT LUMIERE: luminous matte powder makeup

I'm sorry, what? Is this a beauty post? Why yes, yes it is! Finally, after numerous 'i'm back'/Instagram/round up posts, I'm finally doing a blog post on a beauty product! This is the Chanel powder that I picked up at the airport last summer when I went to Egypt with my family. Before this I used a Benefit powder and whilst I really liked using it, I was in the mood for something more 'high end'. So I popped into the duty free area at the airport and headed towards the Chanel counter. I originally wanted to check out the Chanel lipsticks and nail varnishes but when a "luminous matte powder" calls...










I'm someone who doesn't wear make up every day. I don't need to as I'm at school all day every day and as it's an 'all girl' school, I don't feel I need to 'impress' anyone - I am comfortable walking around school with a bare face. But for the times that I do feel like piling my face with make up and making myself look at least a little better than my 'natural face', I really wanted to treat myself and get a luxury product that would at least work towards making me look a little flawless. And my lord, I think I found it!

This is Chanel's Mat Lumiere Powder, with SPF 10, and I have the shade 40: Sable. It's quite dark and it's definitely not the right shade for my skin but when placed over the top of my liquid foundation (it's a Lancome Teint Miracle one and i'll hopefully be doing a post on it soon!) it sort of works. I'm a little gutted that it only really matches my skin tone when I have a tan (very very rarely...) but maybe next time I'll go for a lighter shade? Anyway, the product is a compact powder that looks a little creamy when first applied (i.e. before blended in). It's absolutely gorgeous and so so so luxurious. As well as the product itself, the packaging is equally as lovely and extremely classy. I love the little velvet packet it comes in (although impractical as it gathers wonderful amounts of dust...) and the pan itself is so sleek! At first I was so afraid to touch it as I didn't want to get fingerprint marks on it but I guess temptation gave in ;) The product is also refillable as the actual powder can be removed from the pan so you don't have to buy a whole new product every time, just another powder (which i'm thinking/hoping will be cheaper).

The little booklet that comes with the powder claims that it contains "the perfect balance between softness, radiance and a matte finish" and I agree. It's definitely (i emphasise this greatly) matte which is perfect for me as I have a quite oily skin so when applying a liquid foundation, it can make me a little shiny, thus makin a matte powder over the top very useful. "The powdery MAT LUMIERE formula blends delicately into the skin to ensure shiny areas are mattified, the complexion is evened out, imperfections are instantly concealed and the radiance of the face is revealed" - now how wonderful does that sound? And it does exactly what it claims. Matte = check! Imperfections concealed = check! I feel that when I apply this powder it covers all blemishes that I may be suffering with at the time which to me is the best thing of all! Then finally, radiance = check!

The above pictures of myself, whilst not of the best quality or of great beauty (i try!), show how great the product is (both in light and shadow - this was unintentional and just happened with the position i was sat in when i took the photos). You can tell where I have blemishes but at least they aren't as obvious as they would be without make up. I wear this powder, as mentioned before, with a liquid foundation underneath and apply it with the sponge that comes with the product. Obviously, this isn't my chosen way to do this (as it isn't too hygienic as the sponges do get very dirty and do carry bacteria) but when my mum asked the lady at the counter what the best way to clean/wash them was, she simply said to use a new one and gave us a whole load of extra sponges to take home so I try to start with a new one every month to be a little more hygienic. Regardless of this issue, I like to apply it this way and it really does apply nice and smoothly. After I've applied a layer with the sponge, I blend it in further with a Face Brush from Bobbi Brown (unfortunately, not something i recommend, it's far too scratchy).

Unfortunately, at first, I thought it had broken me out as after the first use I got a lovely helping of spots and it did put me off for a while. I decided to let my blemishes calm down before giving it another go and I think it was just a coincidence as since then, it hasn't broken me out. I do still get spots but I get them regardless of my use of the powder. The powder itself is a little heavy (although it does claim to be light on the skin in the booklet) so I am wary of it clogging my pores but do make sure to give my face a deep clean afterwards. But the benefits and beauty of the product completely over ride this and I still love it!

In terms of coverage and staying powder, it has a full coverage and although it doesn't last all day, it still looks amazing by the time I come home (it is still practically full coverage at the end of the day to be fair and i can vouch/guarantee this as i work in a coffee shop once a week and by the end of my shift, i think the coverage is still great).

Another positive (i don't think i could compliment this product any more to be honest...) is that it makes my skin feel pretty flawless. I feel so wonderful and confident with my skin when I wear it and I think that's the best thing you could say about a facial make up product.

And a final point, unfortunately a negative one, is that it's very easy to rub off. This means fingers and hands can get grubby if you touch your face and it can transfer onto clothes quite easily but if you blend/buff it into your skin well, you can avid too much transfer.

Overall, I am so so so glad I got this and splurged on a higher end product. It's the most expensive make up I own (with the average UK high street price being £37.00 it's certainly not cheap, although i did get it at a discounted price of £30 at duty free but i would will be willing to pay the full price when i've run out) and it's so worth the price! I absolutely love using it and the fact it's got a huge mirror in it means I can whip it out in public and re-apply whenever necessary (ha ha ha, i'm joking! i'm not that shallow...).

I have recently hit the bottom of the pan with this so it means that I've really managed to get to grips with the product and have been able to really give it a go before I did a full review. So I hope you take my thoughts seriously and I'm hoping I've managed to convince you to maybe treat yourself to this beauty! If you do, here is the link for the product on Selfridges (here!) but I do recommend you going in store to check out the colour range in person and maybe get some advice on what the right colour is for you (and maybe some free extra sponges if you're lucky like me!).

Updates:

  1. I apologise for not posting sooner but there isn't really any excuse apart from lack of motivation and lack of hours during the day. I go back to school on Monday so obviously posts won't be too frequent (not like they are anyway) but hey ho, we deal with what we've got!
  2. I haven't actually been up to much this week so there isn't all that much to update you on. I've been the pub with friends, then bowling with the same friends and for a walk at a HUGE national trust park with another friend. It's been nice. Apart from today, I had work which was tough but it was actually a really good shift and I had a wonderful Chinese takeaway to look forward to when I got home.
  3. Tomorrow I'm going with my mum to her gym to hopefully join! I'm so excited to get back into fitness (lol jks, who am i kidding?! i've never been 'into fitness'...) and I'm hoping to really lose a good amount of weight before summer. Speaking of which, my parents have been speaking about a summer holiday to Morocco, erm yes please!
  4. I've been suffering from a cold recently so hopefully it'll clear up soon (i already feel a bit better) - I'm just so tired of a constant 'supply' of colds that someone keeps giving me!
  5. As I finished work today, early than I usually do, I decided to pop into Boots to treat myself! I've been needing some new shampoo and conditioner, some shower gel and some bath soak so when was a better opportunity apart from today? I couldn't afford everything on my card but luckily I received my very first tips and used them for the rest. With my card, I purchased the Herbal Essences 'Herbally Ever After' 40 Years Anniversary Shampoo & Conditioner, the Radox Spa Condition Bath Soak with Honey, Milk and Almond Oil, the Original Source Vanilla Milk and Raspberry Shower Gel and finally the Tresemme Keratin Smooth Shampoo & Conditioner (quite a haul!). Then, with my tips I bought each of the shades of the new Barry M Textured Effect Collection - Atlantic Road, Station Road, Kingsland Road and Ridley Road. I can't wait to try them out and of course there will be some reviews!
  6. I don't think there is anything else I have to tell you guys apart from I hope we're all okay and I hope you've had/you're having a good weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to leave a comment if you want to!